These yummy bars are a healthy remake of one of my favorite treats: Scotcharoo Bars, another recipe my mom used to make when I was younger. These ones are whole grain and only weigh in at 100 calories per bar! If you want them to be even lower calorie, try using less chocolate (or no chocolate), and they will taste just as good!
5 Ingredients, simple, delicious, and healthy! ‘Nuff said! : )
Healthy Scotcharoo Bars (Rice Crispy Treats)
3 cups brown crispy rice cereal
1/4 cup sunbutter or other nut/seed butter of choice
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- Line an 8″ x 8″ baking pan with parchment, plastic wrap, or foil.
- Pour the rice cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- Put the sunbutter and honey in a small microwaveable bowl and heat in the microwave on high for about 30-40 seconds until warmed through and more liquid. Stir honey and sunbutter together and add vanilla.
- Pour the honey mixture over the cereal and stir until thoroughly coated. Press the cereal mix into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, microwave the chocolate in 30 second increments until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Spread the melted chocolate over the cereal mixture.
- Allow the Scotcharoo Bars to set up at room temperature or in the fridge to set up before cutting. Once set up, remove the Scotcharoo slab from the pan and cut into 16 bars. Enjoy!