Celebrate the beginning of Spring and peak strawberry growing season with this fruity recipe! Eating seasonal produce is a great way to add variety, maximum flavor, and affordability to your meals. Try adding this baked treat to your Easter brunch menu. I adapted this recipe from Clean Eating Magazine and made this gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free, while reducing the sugar by using Truvia.
Sweet Cornbread with Strawberry Filling
Vegan, Whole Grain
Free of: gluten, eggs, dairy, soy, nuts, cane sugar, yeast
2 cups sliced strawberries, fresh or frozen
1 Tablespoon Truvia
1 cup cornmeal, whole grain
1 cup whole corn flour (masa)
1/2 cup brown rice flour
3 Tablespoons Truvia
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flax meal + 1/2 cup water
1-1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 cup applesauce
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice (or vinegar)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9″ x 9″ baking pan with oil. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook strawberries over medium heat until the strawberries release their water and start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add 1 Tablespoon Truvia and cook some more until dissolved. Using a flat whisk or potato masher, mash the strawberries a bit until they are mashed but still chunky. Let strawberries cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, corn flour, rice flour, 3 Tablespoons Truvia, cream of tartar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flaxseed meal and water and warm in the microwave for about 30 seconds to create a thick flax-gel (this works as the egg replacer). Stir into the flax-gel the milk, applesauce, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Combine the liquid ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Spoon half of the cornbread batter into the prepared pan, and spread the strawberry mash on top of this. Spread the rest of the batter on top of the strawberries and bake for 30 minutes, or a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool. Cut into 16 pieces; drizzle with maple syrup if you like. Enjoy!