I fell in love with The Urban Poser’s recipe for Grain Free “Oatmeal” Creme Pie Cookies and had to try them for myself, with a few changes. I used to LOVE the Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie Cookies, so much so that I almost made myself sick on them a couple times : / It used to be that I never cared about how much sugar I was eating, but I realized that I couldn’t over-eat sugary foods forever and get away with it. My sweet tooth would catch up with me one day, unless I made some changes.
That’s why I love these cookies: they are simple and wholesome (though still a treat). I won’t end up with a sugar hangover from these cookies. I tweaked the original recipe and skipped the marshmallow creme to make these cookies. I made some cookies like these several years ago, but they had eggs in them, so this recipe is even better. In the photo below, I made mini cookies and used mini chocolate chips; so cute and the perfect portion size!
Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes @ 2 dozen cookies
Paleo; contains tree nuts; Free Of: gluten, grains, cane sugar, eggs, dairy, soy
1 cup almond butter
1/3 cup raw honey
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 Tablespoons water (you could skip this if your almond butter is thin or you want thicker cookies)
1 Tablespoons ground chia seed or flax seed meal
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup chocolate chips or mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix together with a hand blender until well combined.
- Scoop the dough onto the cookie sheets using level Tablespoonfuls of dough (alternatively, you could roll the dough into balls).
- Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes or so, until they are set and lightly browned. For softer cookies, cook less; for crunchy cookies, bake a bit longer.
- Cool completely on the cookie sheet or move the entire piece of parchment paper (with the cookies) to a cooling rack to cool. Enjoy!