Homemade dark chocolate bars? Yes please!
I love chocolate, but don’t always love the extra ingredients in them that I can’t have (dairy and soy) or all of the sugar in them. Allergy-friendly and healthy sugar-free chocolate bars can be a bit pricey, so I decided to make my own chocolate. So, I thought it was time to try the recipe for Hot Chocolate Bars off of the blog Chocolate Covered Katie. I had the recipe on my Pinterest board for a while, but finally decided now was the time to make them. I didn’t have liquid Stevia, so I used powdered Truvia instead. I experimented a little bit and added some of my favorite mix-ins, like almonds and crisp rice. Yummy!
Guilt-Free Dark Chocolate Bars
Makes @ 4-5 ounces
Vegetarian, Gluten-Free (Can be Vegan, Paleo); Free of: dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, cane sugar, corn
4 Tablespoons coconut oil
4 Tablespoons honey, agave, or powdered Truvia *
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or other flavors/oils)
1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- In a small bowl, microwave the coconut oil and honey or powdered Truvia until melted, about 40 seconds. If you use agave or liquid Stevia, you can probably add them after the coconut oil is melted.
- Stir in the vanilla extract
- Stir in the cocoa powder and stir well.
- Add mix-ins, such as chopped almonds or crisp rice and stir well.
- Spread the chocolate onto wax paper-lined sheet or into candy molds and put in the fridge or freezer until hard. This is best kept chilled to keep it firm. Enjoy!
* For powdered Truvia: place Truvia in a small grinder/food processor with a flat blade and process until fine and powdery. Measure for recipe after the Truvia has been powdered.
NOTE: I made a third batch of this chocolate with the liquid Stevia. I used 40 drops to make it sweet enough for my liking, and it is still quite dark. My favorite of all the sweeteners is the honey. It has the best flavor and texture compared to the others. I am still tweaking this recipe to perfect it! More updates to follow
Recipe adapted from Hot Chocolate Bars at Chocolate Covered Katie