Here is another healthy comfort recipe that is a remake of one of my favorite breakfast foods. My Mom used to make this when I was growing up, and I adapted this recipe for my kids and our allergies. The original recipe was already pretty healthy, so I didn’t have to change it much.
This is an excellent make-ahead breakfast recipe for people who don’t have a lot of time to cook or eat in the mornings. Make a batch of Baked Oatmeal at night, and you have an easy, portable breakfast in the morning! Have fun with the add-ins (nuts, raisins, chocolate chips), or leave them plain if you want to keep it simple.
Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Vegan; Free Of: eggs, nuts, soy, dairy, corn, sugar
2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 Tablespoon ground chia or flax seed (or 1 egg)
1 cup unsweetened milk of choice
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 Tablespoons Truvia or Stevia in the Raw
1 teaspoon vanilla
Optional: 1/2 cup raisins, chopped dates, or chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 8 x 8 inch square pan with oil.
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a medium size bowl.
- Add in the wet ingredients and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until set and lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly. Cut into squares and serve with or without milk. Enjoy!